Wednesday, March 10, 2010

It just occured to me....

...that I have A LOT of kids! I mean I have always known this, but recently have come to really KNOW this. My new mental acuity may in part be due to the fact that we are in a 1400 sqft, one story home. Gone is our 2400 sqft 2-story home that seemed to absorb a lot of the noise that 5 children playing (and fighting) can generate.

Needless to say, it can be LOUD here!

Every night as I am trying to go to sleep I do my daily inventory in my mind. And I always fall short in the expectations I have for myself as a mother and wife. This morning before the kids had to get up I was on the computer and came across an article that talked about how mom's are always trying to be perfect, but how children actually learn from our faults. Yikes!! Guess my kids will learn a lot. Phew!

Really though I hope that watching me struggle with my shortcomings is not the only thing my children will take away from their childhood experience.

All I know that is by teaching my children to be respectful, loving, kind and generous I am helping myself too. Not only will I feel good as a mother, but I will also be respectful, loving, kind and generous.

I am so grateful for my gazillion children and the lessons they teach ME about ME on a daily basis.

Sidenote: As I write this, the boys are wrestling and calling each other "booger brains." That, I can say with absolute certainty they did NOT learn from me!

3 comments:

OUR HOUSE said...

I find it hard to believe that you've never called anyone a booger brain, HAHAHAHAHA:)

Gilbrides said...

The saddest part is one day when the kids are all grown-up, it's the silence that's going to grate on your nerves. :) I tell myself things like this all day as I'm washing fingerprints off the walls (and everything else) that one day, I'm going to miss this :) You sure do have the cutest kids though!!

Gilbrides said...

PS. One of my favorite sayings comes from a wall hanging at my grandma's that reads: "A happy home filled with laughter, fills the soul a long time after" So true!!