Sunday, April 20, 2008

Talk about a let down

So, from about 9 months you look forward to putting your child in nursery on Sundays. They become mobile around then and by 12 months you are begging the nursery leaders to make an exception for your child. Then the glorious 18th month hits and you are so excited! "I can make it through sacrament", you think to yourself knowing that in just an hour you will have relief and can wipe off the snot, crumbs and drool from your Sunday best. On their first official day of nursery you are the first one in there explaining their little quirks and what "uh, uh, uh" means and that they might cry at first but that they will be fine in a few minutes.
Not so, not so. Not only do they cry when you leave the room, but also when you go back in there to give a reassuring hug. They don't even stop when you stay in there with them. Just being in the nursery room is traumatizing. I feel a little crestfallen. I had so looked forward to this time. To be able to sit through a class and hear what the teacher is saying. I do have to admit that the babies are very entertaining, but come on now...it is time for the little men to spread their wings and fly....to nursery.
So, we will try next week and then the next and the next. Until that glorious day they figure out that they will survive...playing with toys, eating snacks and singing songs. What a horrible place to spend a couple hours eh?

7 comments:

Lindsey said...

O nic, I hear you all to well, keep on trying. I used to have to stay in there for a while and sneek out. but that did not always work and you have more eyes on you. It will happen I just know it will. (positive thinking). your family is so cute. HAVE A GREAT DAY..

The Prices said...

Ahh, I also know that feeling. It will come eventually. The day that Jonas went into Nursey and I knew that I would not ever have to have a kid to chase during class was wonderful. And now he is finally potty trained and I feel like all the hard parts of toddlerhood are over!!! FOR GOOD!!!

Gilbrides said...

You should have seen all the work I went through with Lauren to try and ease her into nursery :) I sat in there with her for many Sundays before I even dared try and sneak away. Then after all the preparations, she still cried when I left. I hated walking down the hall hearing her wailing but she did get used to it soon. Now she is so excited to go play with her "friends" every Sunday. I know the boys will get used to it and this will hopefully be a dim memory.

Abbey said...

I hope they get the hang of it soon. I missed you in Sunday school!

Kristen said...

man...I couldn't keep my kids OUT of nursery! I would take them in and they would say "bye bye". Must be weird to have kids that actually want you with them 24/7! It will get better...they just need that routine!

OUR HOUSE said...

Alex just turned a year old, and six months away might as well be an eternity (is there a nursery in the Celestial Kingdom?). I love the bathtub picture. It reminds me of Madelyn, who trys to get in the tub fully dressed every time she has a bath, and she's almost three!

Dahle Family said...

Oh you just burst my bubble because i have been counting down the days, i thought I only had three more weeks...WHY???? You will have to let me know how your saga continues.