Friday, March 21, 2008

Happy Easter

christ

Last night Ron and I went to Target to get the kids' Easter goodies. It was crazy. It was almost like Christmas Eve. The parking lot had hardly anywhere to park, then walking in, there were crowds of people all fighting over their dollar section that was completely picked over (dang it). I couldn't help but think that people (including me) miss the mark not only at Christmas, but at Easter too!! Both of these wonderful occassions to remember our Savior that are used for an excuse to buy presents.
Of course as a kid I loved searching for my Easter basket and I continue that tradition with my children, but this year I want to make sure that I really teach them what Easter really is. That it is the celebration of our Savior's Resurrection, not only what the Easter Bunny brought them in their basket.
easter eggs
Anyway, I have really been thinking about it. I guess with Dylan so close to baptism I have been thinking a lot of how I need to help prepare him as much as I can. Some friends and I were talking today about how much an eight year old really understands about what it means to get baptized. One of my friends said that she read an article about it on LDS.org that said that as much as it is for for the child getting baptized, it is also for us as the parents. It is our responsibility to lead them to baptism. I thought that was interesting and I should really get the link to that article and post it at a later time..I need to research it a little.
So, Happy Easter!! Have fun coloring those eggs!

3 comments:

Lamont said...

Thats great that you are doing that for dylan. We talked a little about babtism with him the other day. Dylan and the kids didn't know that Christian is going to babtize them. So it was great to teach them a little about babtism.

Gilbrides said...

Yesterday for Easter I turned on the video Easter Dream. I was surprised at how much Lauren loved watching it and how she was excited to see Jesus. We ended up watching it 5 times. I am surprised at how much children really learn because it seems to be way more than we think.

The Prices said...

London is getting baptized on the 2nd of May. It is so soon. I can't believe that she is old enough. I still feel like I need to teach her more--but she has taken it upon herself to read her scriptures every night before she goes to bed--better than I do some days!!