Wednesday, December 19, 2007

A Yummy Recipe

I found this in my fitness magazine and it is really good. We have discovered quinoa and really like it. It looks like bird seed before you cook it and then like stringy tapioca when it is done. It kind of tastes like broccoli...really weird but actually very good. Anyway I thought I would share this recipe for those who are brave enough to try quinoa.



Greek Style Quinoa Salad

1 cup quinoa

2 cups water

3 T olive oil

1/4 cup fresh lemon juice

1 t dried oregano

1 clove garlic, minced or pressed

1/4 cup kalamata olives...I used black olives because I like them better

1 bunch scallions

1 pint grape tomatoes, halved

7 ounces feta cheese, cubed

1/4 cup diced red onion

salt and pepper to taste

Place quinoa in a strainer and rinse with cold water. Add water and quinoa to a saucepan. Bring to a boil and reduce to simmer. Cook 15 minutes until quinoa is almost translucent.

Spread cooked quinoa on a large dinner plate and put in freezer for 10 minutes to chill. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine olive oil, lemon juice, oregano and garlic. Toss with quinoa.

Add olives, scallions, tomatoes, feta cheese and onion. Gently mix all ingredients. Season with salt and pepper and serve.

It is low calorie and has tons of fiber. Try it!

2 comments:

Sharron Lamont said...

Thanks Nicole for the recipe. A fellow teacher shared quinoa with us. John isn't crazy about it, but I really like it. Sometimes I mix half with rice. There is also a red variety which I mix with the white and it's pretty. It is a complete protein unlike rice. I'll definitely try the recipe, it looks really good! May friend prounouces it (keenwah)I don't know if that is correct?

Erin said...

Fiber? Bryant needs fiber bad! I'll have to find it. We tried when my I firt had Chloe but we never found it. Guess i'll have have to go to the health food store:) Thanks for sharing the recipe Nicole!